Youth Service Program
The Youth Volunteers are an essential part of Los Niños Primero. Through their work and dedication, they undoubtedly contribute to the overall success of the organization and their communities.
The Youth Volunteer Program provides middle school, high school, and college students from the Atlanta area with opportunities to gain service experience and develop leadership skills while working alongside a diverse group of peers, teachers, and Los Niños Primero students.
All Youth Volunteers are trained in early childhood education practices, allowing them to fully understand Play and Project Based Learning to best assist in the classroom. They’re also trained in safety procedures and organizational policies.
Youth Volunteer opportunities include our Summer Educational Program and Saturday School. Youth volunteers are also key collaborators in our year-round events, such as Bingo and Día del Niño (Day of the Child).
Youth Leadership Program
The Los Niños Primero Youth Leadership Program is designed to Inspire the Student, Empower our Youth, and Achieve their Leadership Potential.
The program is intended to develop leadership skills, self-confidence, and personal growth in LNP youth. Youth participants from diverse backgrounds gain a clear understanding of their role as community leaders. The goal of the Youth Leadership Program is to educate, encourage, and engage our youth to be leaders within their community.
Through monthly workshops, team building activities, and a group service project, participants will:
- Become more knowledgeable about their community and feel more civically engaged
- Be equipped with necessary leadership skills
- Form strong relationships with like-minded individuals
- Connect with community and industry leaders
The Youth Leadership Program consists of ten interactive workshops during the months of September – April. The program is taught by a trained facilitator using the curriculum from the J.W. Fanning Institute for Leadership Development, Youth Leadership in Action. The curriculum encompasses Los Niños Primero’s Core Values in every workshop.
To participate in the Youth Leadership Program, students must:
- Be an LNP Youth Volunteer for one summer.
- Be either a Sophomore or Junior in High School.
- Commit to attend all ten workshop sessions.
- Participants are allowed only one excused absence.
Creciendo Juntas: A Big & Little Sister Mentorship Program (Girls Growing Together)
Our new program Creciendo Juntas unites our girl youth volunteers and girl students to form relationships and become each other’s mentors. The big and little sister program allows access to education, the arts, and mental wellness through bi-monthly workshops. Interested youth volunteers are partnered with their “Little” and participate in the free workshops, field trips, and activities that will cultivate a close relationship built on trust and personal growth.
Funding for Creciendo Juntas is provided by the Atlanta Women’s Foundation All Girls Forward: Girls Empowerment Program Grant.
Summer Internship Opportunities
Los Niños Primero is offering two paid internships to qualified youth volunteers for the 2024 Summer Education Program. Interns have the opportunity to develop professionalism and leadership skills while supporting the faculty and staff of a non-profit organization, making a positive impact in their community.
Interns work alongside the Director of Youth Programs and Site Youth Coordinator during the Summer Educational Program. Interns assist and coordinate the Youth Volunteer Program including daily assignments, supervision, conflict resolution, and service hour records. The Interns help manage the LNP Youth Instagram and learn about the behind the scenes of working in a nonprofit. Interns are encouraged to develop ideas for recruitment, outreach, fundraising, and marketing.
- Applicants must have at least 2 years of volunteer experience at Los Niños Primero.
- Applicants must have participated in the LNP Youth Leadership Program.
- Applicants must be rising seniors or college students.
- Applicants must be available all 5 weeks of the Summer Educational Program.
- Applicants must attend all youth volunteer program training and events.
- Applicants must complete the intern application and attend a brief, face-to-face interview with the Los Niños Primero Core Team (15 minutes)
We are not currently accepting applications for this position.